We all have some boring sweaters in our wardrobe that are just lying in our closet. This winters, get little creative, give your old sweaters an on-trend update. And, this can be done by just adding some colorful and trendy elbow patches to your otherwise plain and boring sweaters.
Follow these simple DIY steps to bring your old sweaters back to style:
- Old sweater
- Scrap fabric
- Heat bonding adhesive on the double side (iron on glue)
- Push pins
- Cardboard or paper
- Needle and thread
- Step 1: Pick a sweater, which you think needs some exciting look. If you don't have any boring sweater than you are a lucky one!.
- Step 2: Next, you need to find some scrap fabric for the elbow patches which you want to style. Additional Tip: It's best if you use a fabric that doesn't fray like faux leather, knit or a felt. You will require around an eighth of a yard of fabric.
- Step 3: Create a pattern for your elbow pad shape, you can find something that is round like a wine bottle, large water bottle, the cap of a solo cup or a mug. Trace one circle, then you can shift to trance the second one thus, creating an oval shape. Prefer to create an oval shape about 6 ½ inches long.
- Step 4: Now, you can trance those two ovals on the adhesive fabric and then cut them out.
- Step 5: Lay the stencil on the fabric which you have chosen for the elbow patches. Make sure the stencil is parallel to the edge of the fabric. Trace the second oval next to the first, most importantly both ovals need to be laying in the same direction.
- Step 6: You can now cut out the fabric ovals and place the adhesive ovals on top of the side that will be stuck to your sweater. Put on your sweater and look in the mirror and decide where the patches would look natural on your arm. You can use a pencil or pen that works to mark your elbow. You can take help from your friends if you want to.
- Step 7: Take off your sweater and lay the marked arm on an ironing board and then place the patch on the arm of the sweater where the mark is done. Now, the adhesive fabric is between the patch and the sweater. Do not forget to remove the elbow marker. Hold the patch in place and iron it carefully. Additional Tip: use the steam setting for the great stick.
- Step 8: Just to make the patches fix, you can stitch around the edges to secure but if you have used leather or felt then you can skip this.
Finally, you have a totally new look for your boring old sweater!
Recent Blog Posts
- Wearing a Watch is Important for these Reasons!
- New Trend – The Shearling Jackets
- Celebrate this Christmas in a Stylish Way!
- Rock your look in Green Color!
- Styling Navy Chinos is an easy job!
- Styling 'Prints' is now easy!
- Styling 'Chelsea Boots' is now easy!
- Rules for styling 'Tuxedo'
- Tie- A Style Guide
- Dress for Success: Workplace Style Tips